Home | Word Spy
This is a Web site devoted to "lexpionage," the sleuthing of new words and phrases.
"As a society, we're compelled to create new words to name and describe our new inventions and ideas and institutions." "We use these words in everyday conversation, whether spoken or written, so it only makes sense to make it easier for avid texters to send a quick SMS on the puggle they just saw or the vlog entry they posted this morning."
To help us all better communicate, these and other words have been added to a special T9 predictive text input dictionary for users to tap into when texting on their mobile phones. The top ten "buzz words" to be added to the T9® dictionary (that used for SMS messagesfor 2005 include:
* Lifehack - a tool or technique that makes some aspect of one's life easier or more efficient
* Mashup - new information created by combining data from two different sources
* Placeshift - to redirect a TV signal so the viewer can watch a show on a device other than his or her television
* Playlistism - judging a person based on what songs are on the playlist of his or her digital music player
* Podjack - to plug the cord of one's digital music player into the jack of another person's player to hear what the person is listening to
* Puggle - a dog bred from a pug and a beagle
* Sideload - to transfer music or other content to a cell phone using the cell phone provider's network
* Vlog - a blog that contains mostly video content
* Vodcast - a video podcast
* Ubersexual - a heterosexual man who is masculine, confident, compassionate and stylish
Friday, December 16, 2005
Home | Word Spy